Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sam Leccia Robusto: Black Label

This 5 X 52 cigar has a soft oily light brown wrapper.  The cigar smells of a cooking ingredient I quite often use on Steaks called "Liquid Smoke".  This smell is stemming  from the dark fire cured tobacco that is used inside this blend on the cigar.  I am new the dark fire cured tobacco.  Its an ingredient more commonly used in Pipe Tobacco.  I'm excited to get this cigar lit, it smell reminds me so much of a barbecue that I'm having trouble not taking a bite out of this cigar, so I better start toasting.

First light reveals a huge wood and smokey flavor, which was to be expected.  The smoke is smooth and has a oily mouth feel.  The wood is predominately a cedar which is complimented nicely by the smokiness.  The smokiness actually does resemble the smell and taste of the liquid smoke I mentioned earlier.  Its not overwhelming however, as I can still taste a nice core of tobacco, cedar, and a sweetness on the finish. I am also noticing a saltiness on my lips that I can only taste if I lick my lips after the draw, this is unusual as I have never had this type of flavor from other cigars that I've had on my lips.  Its almost got a mineral type quality to it.  As I smoke the cigar down about an inch or so the burn is razor sharp and the cigar is performing beautiful.

As I approach the half way point. The sweetness picks up and the smokiness and cedar start to intermingle with the natural sweetness.  A pepper flavor is starting to kick up and is  leaving a tingle on my tongue and throat. With all these flavors mixing together a flavor of whiskey is starting to come into play.  Now I am a huge bourbon and whiskey fan.  This flavor reminded me exactly of a cheaper, but passable whiskey called "Early Times".  Its a harsh cedar, peppery, sweet, whiskey flavor that the cigar is putting on my palate.  Being that I am a fan of whiskey, I would have thought that I would of liked this flavor more, but as the cigar burned down a little farther it started to get a little harsh and un- appetizing.  It reminded me of a watered down cheap scotch with burned tobacco mixed in,  NOT A FAN of this flavor.  I enjoyed this cigar very much until this flavor came into play.

As I have just under two inches left the cigar is still burning good, but is starting to go out.  It requires a double draw, making the chard scotch and tobacco flavor unbearable, and I let it go out.

Burn Time: 1 hour 2 minutes
Flavor: Good for the first quarter
Construction: Excellent until the last two inches
Overall score from 1-100.....

88




No comments:

Post a Comment