Monday, February 3, 2014

H. Upmann 1844 Reserve in Robusto

I started the H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Robusto on a cold Illinois night overlooking a local pond while
chilling in my car. With sports radio in the background and my wife at a meeting(meaning no
interruptions) I cut it up and started slowly lighting the foot with a natural flame. I have had three H.
Upmann reserves before and every time I have had one the draw was so poor they were un-smokeable,
blocked up, tighter then any thick milkshake. I swore I would not give these another try after wasting
money on these several times before, but I decided to give it one more chance. So before I even
started I knew I would have to cut the cap a few times. I ended up cutting it three times before I found
the pre- draw to be suitable.
After lighting up my first puffs produced very good smoke, not blocked at all!!! Immediately the
flavors were deep tobacco with sweet woody undertones and a spice on the tongue and lips. The smoke
was fairly thick and surprisingly smooth, a kind of smooth you only get from cigars that cost five to six
more dollars then this stick did. I found this at my local tobacco store for $5.50 I personally enjoy this
flavor very much so I was excited for what was to come. I started smoking at 5:38pm and by 5:57 the
burn was only down about half an inch with the burn line being a little uneven.

After the first inch or so the burn evened out beautifully,The construction was beautiful and the burn continued to be very slow but still very even. At the half way point I was at the one hour mark. The flavor had dropped off the
spice and became very sweet and nutty keeping the wood and added a light coffee on the finish. The
ash held on nicely and fell off by itself (in my makeshift McDonald cup ashtray) after nearly two
inches of a strong hold.

After the first two inches the flavor immediately went back to a pepper feel on the lips and in the back
of my throat with the sweet wood dominating the flavor and the coffee was gone never to return again.
As I got down to the band point the flavor started getting a little harsh and became non appetizing. I
finished with just under two inches to go at just over an hour and twenty five minutes in.
All in all this was a very good stick for the price and I enjoyed it.

Price: $5.50
Appearance: Good, small seems, dark and chocolate looking wrapper
Flavor: Good, nothing outstanding, not complex
Construction: Good, no issues, razor sharp burn line
Overall Score from 1-100.....

89



No comments:

Post a Comment